Thursday, April 22, 2010

Power Outage 2 hours of training


The power went out for about 2 hours last night. I did not fire up the generator, instead the boss and I went over what was good about our preparations and what was bad. I will not go over what was good only about what we were lacking.


  • We were low on candles not out and we did have enough for this emergency.
  • My flashlight I keep on the wall next to the bed had been moved. (It kept bumping the boss in the head when she read, we have moved it so I can find it and it wont be bothering her now)
  • My portable radio Is not all that effective as a radio, it is ok for a portable radio but lousy for getting information at home. We need a much better radio and perhaps even a CB with SSB or a HAM setup.
  • Getting information about the outage was our primary goal, we were able to do this with my laptop and my 3G connection, but the battery dropped like a rock. We need a power backup that does not require getting the generator fired up.
  • The reason the generator was not fired up was that it is loud and it takes regular unleaded gas. Our quiet generator was in the RV storage bay and I did not wish to bother a friend of mine who was sleeping in the RV, also no easy way to get gas. My siphon hose is also in the RV, and I don't want to siphon gas in the middle of the night. The power went out a little while after midnight. We need a portable short term quiet power supply like this one.
**********************************************
On another note its time to get the kids some kits together, there is a gunshow this weekend and I am out of money since we had to have surgery on one of our best friends Sierra (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) who has been in our family almost 9 years. But the boys have some money of their own and only need some starter items to get their (BOB/GO BAG/DAILY CARRY GEAR)
I am compiling lists from my lists and from lists from Insite's lists. I do not know what they will have at the show but often they have items that can be used in smaller kits. For one thing I have to pick up one small day pack for my youngest son (18yrs old). These bags are going to be designed for short hiking trips and travel in mind.

KEY RING KIT

  • Keys
  • Tiny Razor Knife
  • Tiny Multi Tool
  • P 38 Can Opener
  • 20' 550 cord
  • Small Compass
  • Small Flashlight
DAILY CARRY (Wallet-Purse-Small Pouch)
  • Cash $200
  • Quarters $2.00
  • Small Knife (I prefer the Skeletool CX with bits)
  • List of Phone Numbers
  • Cell Phone / Camera
  • Pre Paid Credit Card /w $1000 (I don't even have this but it is a great idea)
  • Small Flashlight
  • Lighter
  • Pen and Paper
  • Mirror
  • Aspirin / Band aids / Imodium / Benadrill
  • Identification
GO BAG
  • Water Bladder
  • Poncho
  • Wind Breaker
  • Lightweight Sweater (Not cotton)
  • Gloves and Cap
  • Floppy Hat
  • Underwear
  • Socks (Heavy wool and lightweight)
  • Tactical Pants
  • Tshirt
  • Pen and Notepad
  • First aid kit
  • Hygiene Kit
  • 24 to 72 hours of food
  • Ziplock and Trash bags
  • Sun glasses
BUG OUT BAG
  • Sleeping Bag
  • 3 days of food
  • Mess kit
  • Cooking Supplies
  • Toiletries
  • Shoes
  • Cold and Warm Weather Clothing
  • Tent
  • Tarps
  • 300' 550 paracord
  • Full First Aid kit
  • Repair Kit (Rubber bands, Safety Pins, Duct Tape, Wire, Epoxy)
  • More as needed

3 comments:

  1. Best Institute in the Country for SSB Traning
    Institute established in the Year 2001
    Best results all services all entries – THOUSANDS OF SELECTION
    Training imparted under LT Col Rajeev SSB Training
    Devgan, Group Testing OfficerTraining effective forSSB Training all GD/PI Based selection especially asst commandant (CPF), cost guard, MBA, bank po etc

    ReplyDelete