Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Long time

It has been a while since I have posted. Mainly due to work.

My other sister read my blog and I guess she liked it.

She posted the following letter to me.

Hiya,

I read the latest posts on your blog this morning. Very cool. The movie was hilarious. I'm going to show it to everyone when I wake them up.

I have some comments and questions for you on the food list you made.
I didn't know brown rice went rancid quicker. Thanks for that.
Have you thought to buy water softener salt? It's much cheaper and you get more for your money. It says it's not for consumption, but as far as I'm concerned, salt is salt.

I'm curious, do you know how long peanut butter will store? We love peanut butter. We wanted to grow peanuts, but it's a warm weather crop.

I think that shortening has a longer shelf life than plain oil, but I'm not sure. Also, there are some good survival foods you can make with shortening. But then again, that was in the olden days when people exercised 10 time more than we do now. When you exercise, you burn a lot more fat, and fat was a lifesaver back in the day.

I love pasta, and think it's an awesome way to preserve eggs. Someday I'm going to make some.

Did you know that honey can be stored forever? That it never goes bad? I think that's awesome to know for survival situations. I don't supposed you could have a bee hive in your own backyard .... could you? I think it's too close to the neighbors. By the way, when you have your own hive in Colorado, did you know that you have to leave honey in the hive for the bees to survive the winter? There's a farmer here who takes all the honey and then lets his bees die in the winter because he makes more money that way. Buying another swarm is cheaper for him than leaving the honey for them to eat. Sounds cruel to me.



My answers
Peanut Butter about a year
virgin Olive oil about 2 years
No iodine in water softener salt... but you could use it for consumption if you want its about 98.9% pure
Shortening 2 years

In a survival situation 3600 calories/day may not be enough food.
Good article about that from survival blog http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/01/the_importance_of_calories_in.html

Pasta will last for years.

Honey is very expensive! And yes it will also preserve just about anything put into it.

It may make sense from a $ point of view but bees are dying for no reason so killing them makes little long term sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment